Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Take Off and Pull Over

August 30-31



The ferry was on the move late Sunday morning. Kurt led music at church again and Heather helped me make a very late lunch for our families, Wayne, and the missionary crew of Ed, Ben, and Al. Estelle kept Kurt and I awake until 4 am that night. She's teething and that terrible cough she had is back, though not as severe.

As a result, we slept late Monday morning, even though I was brought to my senses twice, once by the sewage truck and once by the water truck. The water truck comes every morning at 8:30 AM to refill the Hanthorns' tank and it parks right beside our trailer to do so. A pretty reliable alarm system, except for the odd time when it doesn't show up until 11 am. It has made us very conscious of our water consumption. Paul and Lynn have run out of their daily water supply a few times since we've been here, and one time it was our fault, from flushing the toilet too often. The sewage truck is not that regular. But I digress.....

Kurt checked his email and he found out his plane for his next job was at 2:30 PM. With a 2 and a half hour drive, that didn't give us a whole lot of time for packing, refueling, and the like. But we got the kids settled with some instructions, and then Kurt, Estelle, and I headed for Inuvik. We saw a hint of snow on the way up. Kurt made his flight for Yellowknife with enough time to spare for us to grab lunch at the airport. He'll be gone for 2-3 weeks but it's his last stint.

I took advantage of being in a 'booming metropolis.' I loaded up on groceries, fueled up, went to the bank, picked up our propane tanks (YAY!), and went on an unsuccessful hunt for Diana's birthday present. Then I headed back for McPhoo. I was barely out of town when I was pulled over by the police. While I was waiting for the officer to approach my window, I wracked my brain, trying to figure out what law I had broken. Speeding. No. Unfastened seatbelt. No. Baby unbuckled. No. License too muddy. Maybe.

The mountie came to my window. “What’s your name?”

I answered him, even though, I was surprised by the less-than-standard question. Whatever happened to, “License and registration please.” Or at least, “Do you know why you were stopped, ma’am?”

Then he said, “Can you verify that with some ID?” I showed him my driver’s license.

“Thank you ,” he said. “You are not who we are looking for,. But your vehicle matches the description of a suspect heading for McPherson. Which way are you headed?”

“McPherson.”

“Well, you’re free to go. Have a nice day.”



The drive back was beautiful. The fall colors were out and I tried to capture them on my camera but somehow a picture never seems to do them justice. I got back an hour before the Hanthorns returned from Whitehorse. They came home to an uninhabited house and if we hadn’t told them, they never would have known their house had been a temporary ‘bed and breakfast’ for the week. Sarah and Annah gave Mackenzie $50 for watching their dogs, and Joel offered money to Keegan, but he declined. And we were all happy to see our friends again. But isn't it ironic, Kurt arrived the day the Hanthorns left, and he left when they returned. They didn't even cross paths. Kurt joked,"Tell Paul and Lynn I'm not trying to avoid them. Honest!"

No comments:

Post a Comment