Sunday, September 6, 2009

New Neighbours

September 4-5

First, the church update. The plumbers left after installing remaining fixtures and stalls in the bathrooms. They are fully functional now. They did tremendous work on the heating system, but they think they punctured a pipe with a nail somewhere. Trying to find the hole will be like trying to find a needle in a haystack, so please pray for their situation. Dan has been mudding in the apartment and painting can probably begin there on Monday. Paul painted the sanctuary just in time to officiate Saturday afternoon at the first wedding to be held in the church. It was a public wedding, we found out later. We missed it. Lynn, Heather, and I had gone for a walk with our kids.

Judah did a good turn for us the other day. I was in the trailer when I heard him say, “Hey, where are you going with that wheel?”

I went out the door and there were three young boys on bikes, one with our buggy wheel tucked under his arm.

The boy with the wheel said, “It’s mine.”

Judah: “Then where is the wheel that was under the Kure’s trailer a minute ago.”

Wheel-holder: “ I don’t know.”

Judah: “Well, it’s not yours. Give it back.”

Wheel-holder: “ But it’ll fit my sister’s bike”.

I interjected: “That doesn’t mean you should take something that does not belong to you. Can I please have my wheel back.”

Now, I have assumed that when a guilty party is caught red-handed, their next course of action is usually escape. You know, drop the incriminating item and make a run for it. (Like that bunch of guys caught at the ferry). However, that was not the case in this instance. The boy looked me in the eye and said, “Well, then , how much will you sell it to me for?”

Needless to say, it was not for sale, and the boys went home wheel-less. And I thanked Judah for interceding for us.

In seemingly unrelated news, we moved out of the Hanthorns yard. We all loved being so close to the Hanthorns, but I do believe we were a strain on their water supply . And with us, the Sachs mission men, and the plumbers, the Hanthorns had 17(?) extra people coming in and out of their house for a whole week. They were so gracious. Our trailer is still parked beside their house, locked up with the buggy wheel INSIDE. We moved all our belongings to-can you guess?-a house in the RCMP compound.

Last month, while we were still at the daycare, Chris, police sergeant and friend of the Hanthorns, told us one of their houses would be available on September 5. He offered it to us then, before we even mentioned our coming need. I happily accepted. I am so thankful and amazed by God’s provision. We trust God to meet our needs, and He answers us exceedingly and abundantly greater than we can even imagine. The house has three bedrooms, WITH furniture. The kids thought it was as big as our house. And like the other administrative buildings in McPhoo, the RCMP houses are connected to the utilidor, which means we have an unlimited water supply. Oh, happy day!



I can be content in plenty or in want, but it sure was nice to have a shower. I hadn’t had one in 6 days. Should I be admitting that? Anyways, our first night in, everyone had a bath, and I did three loads of laundry. Water MUST be one of God’s most glorious creations.

There is even another unexpected benefit of living in an RCMP compound. With a chain-link fence around the compound, and police vehicles and uniformed officers about, methinks there will be no more ‘borrowing’ of wheels or any other Kure belongings anymore. Just a guess….

No comments:

Post a Comment