Sunday, July 26, 2009

Work Hard, Play Hard, Sleep Hard

JULY 25

We woke up to no power. I plugged the space heater in the night before and it tripped the breaker in the daycare. I didn’t get much sleep last night. There’s a husky dog across the street, and he sounds like a wolf howling at the moon. The dog had Diana convinced anyway. I also heard the haunting sound of a loon, which I love. My appreciation of nature, however, does not extend to the ‘bulldogs’ flying around. Those flies are huge and fearsome, and there buzz is nothing compared to their bite, I am told.

Keegan and Bronwyn went back to work. The siding of the church is almost done, and much progress has been made on the kitchen and living quarters. Josiah, Naomi, and Diana went swimming. Kenzie baked a chocolate cake for supper. Ezra had a blast playing at the Hanthorns. Josiah has been the go-to guy, running errands to and fro on his bike. Mackenzie made use of her time with the little ones, teaching them the bible verses she learned at Kamp Klondike. She is a studious one. She even had Evangeline giving it a go. “I am the Good Shepherd. I know my sheep, and my sheep know me.” Except when Evangeline says the last two words, it sounds more like Naomi’s nickname-NOMIE. And since the verse starts off with ‘I am’, Evangeline thinks she is the good shepherd. Lots of deep spiritual truths going on there!

I guess it was a long day for Evangeline, because she fell asleep upright in her chair at the dinner table. Michele helped me cart the kids back to the trailer. She had a good sleep, until 11 pm, that is. Keegan and Bronwyn went to the lake again to wash the drywall and insulation off themselves with a swim, and to watch some more extreme sports. Joel and his friends from Whitehorse went over jumps on their bikes into the lake. Bronwyn hopped in the shower when they came back but just then Annah showed up to invite her, Keegan, and Mackenzie to watch a short sledding movie. We went in the daycare where she and the little guys were. Bronwyn was singing at the top of her lungs in the shower. She was so loud, she couldn’t even hear us calling her name until we shouted. Annah laughed, and then laughed some more, because Ezra, Evangeline, Naomi, and Diana were all running around in their underwear because they were so hot. Not one of our earlier nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment