Sunday, June 28, 2009

Switcheroo

June 27
Brr! A breezy +8 degrees. It got as low as +1 during the night. I went out into our 'patio' where Josiah and Mackenzie were sleeping, but they couldn't be seen, huddled in their sleeping bags. They didn't get up until noon. Josiah said, "I would get up earlier, but when I do wake up, I still think it's the middle of the night, so I go back to sleep." And I should wake him up, but I have the same trouble he does!

We had to go through the rigamarole today of moving all our stuff, and hooking up the trailer,, just so we could refill the water tank and dump the other ones. But the kids thought it was great fun, as they stayed in the trailer when Kurt went the 100 m to the fill station. A wild ride for them!

We got a call at 8 pm from Paul. He informed us we could pick up Bronwyn and Keegan in Fort McPherson, and if we were so inclined, he also had room in the upcoming camp for Josiah and Mackenzie as well. Now for those of you who know me well, you also know that Kurt and I have always had a no-kids' camp policy. But knowing they'd be with the Hanthorns, we consented. Boo and Jo were wide-eyed, but excited to have an adventure like their older siblings.

I drove on the way down, but I was glad Kurt was along, because I had been unsettled when I thought I would have to do the Dempster alone with the children. Getting stranded myself is one thing. Getting stranded with 7 children is quite another. It really wasn't that bad but I must have been nervous, because my knuckles turned white from clenching the wheel and my hands kept cramping up. At least I'll be more comfortable when I do have to go next week to pick them up.

We arrived at the Hanthorns without incident. We walked in the door, and Bronwyn came running up to us, Keegan was sauntering behind. They both tried to say, 'hello,' to Estelle, but she immediately wailed in terror, and made strange. They were both surprised and a little saddened by the cold shoulder. We said a quick goodbye to Jo and Boo because we had to do a quick turn-around to make the last ferry crossing. We made it to the ferry with just minutes to spare. We pulled away from the dock but then spun around to pick up a latecomer. Off we went again, then turned back again for another straggler. Off for a third time, and back again for a semi-truck. It took an hour to cross, but it's comforting to know travellers don't get stranded.

On the drive home, Keegan and Bronwyn bubbled over about their camp. Keegan's highlight was tipping canoes and sticking a frog down his sister's shirt, with Joel Hanthorn as his accomplice. Bronwyn, in customary fashion, squealed. Later, Bronwyn conspired with Sarah Hanthorn and returned the favor. Keegan thought she was joking. "Nice one, Bronwyn. You can't fool me that easily....WAIT! There IS a frog in my shirt!" Bronwyn wished we could have seen his face. Keegan insisted he knew all along.

They also participated in a ropes course, archery, stilt-walking, soccer, hiking, swimming, a pancake eating contest (Keegan ate 10), 'chuck the chicken' (don't ask me), and sometime during the week, Paul got pushed in the water by the campers. At one point, the boys started a pillow fight. While they were distracted, Bronwyn snuck away with Annah and Ruth Hanthorn, and another girl and took all the boys' sleeping bags and hid them in the bushes. So when the pillow fight ended and the boys were cheering and yelling "We are the champions! We are the champions," the girls were all giggling on the inside, thinking 'Not for long." They had the last laugh, when the boys came back asking for their sleeping gear. Even Mr. Hanthorn announced at the award ceremony, that the girls came out on top that time. But the boys are sticking to their story.

They had various awards to end the camp. Keegan received "Best Archer" and Bronwyn was the recipient for "Best Camper of the Week." Not only did they have a good week, but they got better acquainted with the Hanthorns and are even more excited to spend the summer in Fort McPherson( or Fort McPEDERSEN, as Ezra calls it).

No comments:

Post a Comment