Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Little Introduction

We've made it to the TOP of the World and would like to share with our families and friends our "Tales off the Top." The family and I arrived in Inuvik, Northwest Territories on Wednesday night, June 18th, which just happened to be our Sweet Sixteen Anniversary

I'll start from the beginning, the very beginning:

Kurt has been working in the Arctic every summer for the past ten years or so. When the kids were quite young, he was sometimes gone for 2 months, which seemed to get harder the older the kids became. So in 2003, Kurt decided to take us with him for his 10 day trip up North. With five kids in tow, and me very much pregnant, we tented all the way up, travelling in our blue suburban, and stayed in the company crew house when we arrived in Inuvik. And WE LOVED IT! And we couldn't be more thankful that Kurt went through all the extra hassle to have us experience what we'd only heard about for so long.

So we returned in 2007, but this time in a 15-passenger van and trailer with eight kids in tow, and we stayed for 3 months. And still loved it-- the slower pace, time together, and life simplified.

Here we are again, with the head count now at 9 kids, going to our summer 'cottage' in the Arctic.

5 comments:

  1. I am glad I thought to look at facebook tonight. I loved reading about your adventures so far and am missing you even more now. give everyone a great big hug (and that means you to Keagan) and tell them I love them.
    Love, Auntie Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what...Morgan and Mikayla both got glasses this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to do this blog... love the pictures and the wonderful descriptions of your outings! I'm living vicariously... except for the bugs part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Cara and Tanya, you are my first 'followers!' I feel so honored to have someone--no-two someones- willing to read my ramblings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess what? Mikayla already lost her glasses. I'm a little slow, but I'm on board with the blog thing. Can I be a third or fifth somebody?

    ReplyDelete