Saturday, August 8, 2009

Participaction

August 4-8

The weather has been beautiful-sunny and warm, though a little muggy. It is starting to cool down at night and it actually gets a little dark between 2 and 3 AM now. Not that I should know!!! Keegan still sleeps with his blanket over his head at night to block out the sun. He does insist that he needs the fan blowing every night because he gets too hot. The bugs have definitely subsided and by next week, they should be gone, I am told. I talked to Kurt and he said it is snowing on Banks Island.

Lynn and I have been walking daily together, pushing little guys in our buggies. We actually get some exercise, pushing the kids up and down the hills. The hamlet doesn’t look like much but when I walked around the outskirts, the view was beautiful. Ft. McPhoo is surrounded by lakes, and in the distance beyond the hills and valleys, I could see the Richardson Mountains. I spotted one particularly beautiful large lake beyond the fireweed, and I asked Lynn if it had a name. “Oh, that’s Sewage Lake, where the town waste gets dumped.” Well, I guess that explains why it’s so green and lush around there. There are a couple of roads on our route with a dog on every doorstep. Fortunately most of them are tied up but they sure make a ruckus, tugging at their chains, when we walk by, especially when we bring the Hanthorns’ dogs along. I guess we can consider it good dog aversion therapy. Naomi, Diana, and Mackenzie had fun walking the Hanthorns’ three dogs on their leashes.

The kids are feeling comfortable and familiar with their surroundings now. Naomi and Diana walk the two blocks to and from the pool by themselves. I send them all, but Bronwyn and Keegan, together for the public swim. However, the lifeguard spoke with me one day because he was concerned that Ezra swam unsupervised all by his lonesome. I was as surprised as he was- so much for my buddy system. Mackenzie and Josiah both assured me that the other was on the job. With swimming lessons, a youth swim, a teen swim, a Bronze Medallion class, and swim team, the oldest are sometimes at the pool for 5-6 hours a day. Mackenzie even decided to join the swim team with Bronwyn. Robert, at the pool, asked them if they had too many chores at home they were trying to avoid. “You practically live here!” But he’s been good to us and gave us a special “Cheaper by the Dozen’ rate since we’re there so often. Lynn gave him freshly baked cinnamon bread and cookies and Kenzie’s working on some gingersnaps right now. Robert is extremely appreciative for the baked goodies.

The kids go biking and jogging with the Hanthorns, too. Every time they do, they come back wet. They can’t resist jumping into the nearest lake or mudpit on their outings, and there’s no shortage of water and mud around. Bronwyn told me last night they had been up to their waists in mud. They must have cleaned up pretty well because I hadn’t even noticed. Mackenzie and Josiah biked around town with Jesse and Judah, but got side-tracked by the wild raspberries on the side of the road. We caught up with them when we were walking. Keegan went jogging today and surprised himself that he was more than capable of holding his own. If I’m not mistaken, he’s a little taller and leaner now, but I see him every day. You will have to be the judge when you see him again.

Jesse turned 7 on Thursday, and we went to his birthday party. The Hanthorns set up a teepee in their backyard with a firepit. We roasted marshmallows, ate cake, and a group of boys ended up wrestling on the trampoline. Ezra was eating his cake and ice cream by the fire, when he exclaimed, “Ow, my forehead is cold!” That seemed odd. I thought he meant he was too hot by the fire, until I realized he must have ate his ice cream too fast. He was having a ‘brain freeze.’ Lynn put Esther’s frilly baby Gwich’in hat on Estelle. If I can get some pictures loaded, I’ll show you, but the internet is so slow here.


Keegan and Bronwyn went to a youth night at the Hanthorns. They had pizza and had some good clean fun playing games the other teens. They got back to the trailer at 3 AM! Kenzie had locked the daycare door so Bronwyn was locked out and had to sleep in the trailer on the 'table bed.' It made a for a short night for Bronwyn, because she filled in for a girl, working at the swimming pool. Lynn showed up at our door at 1 pm so we could all go swimming together. A good thing she brought Joel with her, because that's probably the only reason Keegan got out of bed without a fuss. He was still in a dead sleep.

Lynn made me a very generous offer. She said she would take all the kids if I wanted to fly with Estelle to see Kurt where he’s working. It was a nice idea but when I checked with Kurt, he said they would never allow a baby on site. A nice idea, all the same. But God willing, and if it stops snowing, Kurt will be back the beginning of next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment