Friday, August 28, 2009

Sponge

August 26-28

It's a good thing Kurt packed a lunch for his job on the Horton River. He left for Inuvik without his credit cards! He stayed at the crewhouse for a night, so at least he had free accommodation. He did his job, and flew back into Inuvik. But he had no more food and no gas money to fuel up for the drive back to McPhoo. He had to sponge $50 dollars from Dave (the guy he did the job with) so he could buy diesel. Kurt also took our propane bottles with him to be filled but had to leave them behind. We're still working on getting them back here, so I've been cooking in the Hanthorn house and the trailer has been on the chilly side.

Before he could drive back from Inuvik, Kurt also had to find Rose, his return passenger. I only just 'happened' to be in the Hanthorn's house when Rose called me, because I only just happened to be in the house when Kurt called me a few minutes earlier to say he had to find Rose. Rose said,"Tell your husband I'm waiting at Northmart." So I did. What amazes me here is how people catch a ride here and there and are never concerned how it's all going to work out. They are not dependent on cell phones (there's no cell phone service here, not even in the hamlet), there are no rigid schedules to keep, and some are happy to catch a ride whenever, with whomever's available. And of course I see God's hand in it all. Kurt returned at 11 pm, and he was very hungry, so we filled him up with grilled cheese sandwiches and cookies.

Two new teachers arrived, Dan and Heather,old friends of Paul and Lynn's. School started here on Wednesday. Their housing is not ready so they are staying in the Hanthorn house and we watched their little girl, Ruth, after school. She fit right in; from a glance she could pass for Diana and Naomi's little sister, or should I say other little sister. I also heard that Dan has done some drywalling...and they might move into the church apartment when it's finished. Sounds like it could be a win-win situation. Oh, on that note,Kurt and Keegan did some more skirting on the church. The Aussie missioinary family is painting, and Wayne has started tiling.


Yesterday evening, I was putting Ezra and Evangeline to bed, and the older ones were bringing our supper dishes to the trailer. Seven neighbourhood children showed up and one pressed her face against our screen door to peer inside.

"Whatcha doing in there?"

"Cleaning up and putting kids to bed."

They all started asking questions. "Do you have any more chicken nuggets?"

My guys had already consumed the leftovers. "No, sorry."

"How about fries? You have any more fries?"

"Sorry, all gone."

A boy asked, "Do you have any juice to drink?"

"I can give you some water."

"Don't you drink anything besides water?"

"Not really. Water is the best thing for you." Bronwyn gave them all a glass of water.

"Do you have any more oranges?" We had given some of them oranges last time.

"No," Bronwyn replied, "But you can have an apple if you want one."

They all did, and followed her into our trailer. Now let me tell you, our trailer is pretty cramped with the 11 of us already, so 7 more added to the mix, sure made for a tight squeeze. I suggested moving the snack outside where they could all sit on our bench. They finished their apples and asked for more. Bronwyn gave them the rest of what we had. They wanted to come in to play but as it was bedtime, I recommended that it was a good time to go home. And I will have to buy some more fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment